Snap the Code!

That's the QR Code behind the
standing passenger's head 

As you all know I am a fanatic of the QR codes and can't believe it is taking so long for them to really catch on in the publishing industry. More specifically with advertising. So, let me take you to my happy place - sort of. 

I was on the train the other day and had been trying to avoid the piercing gaze of some chick in the next bank of seats to my left and across from me. Of course in trying to avoid her gaze she kept catching me gazing at her...I still can't figure this one out. During one of these gaze-avoidance exercises I noticed the loveliest poster behind the head of another passenger. It was a large, QR code on a poster...but I couldn't tell what it was for at first...until I noticed the banners overhead - since they are usually all for the same advertisers. Turns out that JetBlue's current campaign is advertising a contest to "Win a St. Pete/Clearwater Beach Escape...". I am so game, especially since there is a QR code attached...I can now use my scanner FOR REAL.  Now here is the dilemma. 

As you can see from the photo above, the poster with the QR code on it is not only quite a distance from me, but is also blocked by a body. As I glance up at the numerous overhead posters, which you can tell from the image below were closer to where I was SEATED, I note that they invite me to "Snap The Code", but alas....where is the code? There is none to be found.  DEAR JETBLUE, there are a few problems with this situation.
"Snap the code or register at Jet2TheBeach.com"



1) You are telling me to "Snap The Code" but there is no code.

2) I REALLY want to snap the code - especially since it means I might be able to win a trip - but I am NOT willing to give up my seat to walk over to the other poster, to do it. If you think a seat can't be lost that quickly, then you clearly don't ride the NYC subways.

3) My husband was kind enough to take the photo at the left on his way home BECAUSE HE was the person sitting in front of the code, so he wasn't going far and therefore was unlikely to lose his seat.

As you will notice in the photo, the actual scannable QR code, in the orange circle, is small relative to the rest of the poster and one would have to be standing in front of it to scan it which comes with it's own problems.
A) You would have to be standing in order to capture this code and likely using both hands which, unless you are a gymnast, is difficult on a moving NYC train.
B) If anyone is sitting in front of this poster, it then makes it awkward because they will likely think you are trying to take a photo of them.  They will either give you the opportunity to explain yourself...or they won't.  Either way, that is too much trouble to scan a code.

Long story short...if JetBlue would put that code on every single poster...I would be more than happy to snap every single code....or at least one of them.

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: