#BWENY 2012

I just wrapped up my first visit to the BlogWorld Expo 2012 in New York City and what an experience it was.  I didn’t quite know what to expect, except that I would be meeting and learning from a lot of like-minded individuals who love to blog, and the companies that want our business.  I attended quite a few sessions but the following three really stood out for a few different reasons.
As a HUGE fan of top quality customer service, I was particularly interested in the Rackspace Super Session -- Vow to Wow – Being helpful to Customers Online I wasn’t quite sure what to expect from this session because, and forgive me for what I am about to say, but I don’t normally equate technology service providers with excellent customer service, let alone “white glove” customer service.  According to the panel – Robert Scoble, Matt Wilbanks, Robert Collazo and Jeremy Wasner - every employee at Rackspace is responsible for and empowered to provide “Fanatical Support”, including themselves and supposedly they have their cell phone numbers available to their customers.  WOW!  If that isn’t “white glove” I don’t know what would be.

Next on my list was 50 Content Creation Ideas: You’ll Never Suffer From Bloggers Block Again!  This session was hosted by Rich Brooks, President of Flyte New Media First, I have to tell you that he was one of the more dynamic presenters, which was welcomed.  It made it easier to sit through the entire session.  As for overcoming “bloggers block” I was sure there was not going to be anything new that I hadn’t tried before, but I was curious. I couldn’t have been more wrong.  Many suggestions didn’t require much in the way of creativity but others were like digging for hidden treasure – without a whole lot of work.  After all, writing the actual blog post is the real challenge and the hardest work of all.  Don’t need to add to it.

Last, but most certainly NOT least, and likely the MOST IMPORTANT session for bloggers was The Challenges of Copyright in the Digital Age presented by Christopher Kenneally, Director, Author Relations, CopyrightClearance Center With so many bloggers new to writing “for the public” for the first time, many don’t have an understanding of the law as it pertains to copyright and fair use This session should have been packed.  Be that as it may, I appreciated the subject matter and enjoyed the presenter.

There were many exhibitors who introduced me to so many new and cool products – and I don’t just mean their giveaways either, although some of those were pretty cool.  A few of my favorites are Zemanta, Tout, Rawporter, Tokkster, Overblog,  Pond5, and Stitcher.  If you are a serious blogger you will immediately understand and appreciate the value of these sites and their services.

Dave Cynkin  and Rick Calvert
announce new name for conference. 
The biggest news of The Expo was the announcement by BlogWorld Expo founders, Rick Calvert and Dave Cynkin, that the new name for the conference will be New Media Expo (NMW).  They decided that this name was better because it is inclusive of not only blogging, but also podcasting and web TV.

This post would be incomplete if I didn’t give a shout out to Tom DiCerbo of Snippies.  Snippies is one of the largest providers of marketing communication videos, creating content for agencies, brands, and channels in multiple markets worldwide.  Check ‘em out and spread the word if you like.

Most importantly, I save the BEST for last.  I would like to thank Amber Avines, Social Media Consultant / Communications Strategist / Writer for Words Done Write.  Aside from the fact that Amber is a master communicator, it was great meeting, in person, my friend and fellow blogger. 

No comments: