U Must Be Happy 2 C Me

Today I received my print copy of New York Car & Traveler. Please don't judge me...I read it for the articles. How else am I going to know The Truth About E-ZPass? or What kind of merger I am? This magazine also caters to one of my other guilty pleasures....wait for it....they include barcodes on some of the articles...we all know how much I love those things because We R Living In A Scannable World.....and I am just a "scannable" girl.

As I read through the articles I also took note of some of the ads. Truth be told, I do have to laugh because some of these ads just seem so random for this type of magazine. But I won't judge. I am sure the advertisers run because of the articles.

One ad in particular, however, did really catch my attention. It is for a line of shoes called Gravity Defyer. The shoe that they feature in the print ad is an athletic shoe, along with details about these shoes, some cool graphics that illustrate how awesome these shoes are, complete with someone's personal story about how Gravity Defyer shoes made him "invincible". Yes..I did say "him". He just sounds like a "him". In fact the ad has distinctly masculine overtones. I swear. After reading the ad, one might even agree that these athletic shoes are appropriately named - Gravity Defyers - since it could be argued that they helped the GUY to defy gravity.

Here's the thing though. Take a really close look at the logo. Notice anything? Okay...you actually don't need to look that closely. The logo for this company strongly resembles a....sperm. In fact there are at least 8 of them on the page. I know sex sells, but I am not exactly sure that this qualifies....or does it? I suddenly felt a little like I was no longer perusing the type of magazine one peruses for the articles but rather for the pictures. Please pass the Purell!

When I think of defying gravity, sperm is not the first thing that comes to mind. Silly me, full-gear astronauts are actually foremost in my thoughts. But on a stretch I understand the correlation. Poor sperm, forever destined to swim "up stream" and "defy gravity". Is that what they meant? According to Business Insider, the use of sperm is deliberate to represent how customers say they feel when they try the shoes, and it has nothing to do with "swimming up stream".  Seriously? Hmmmm. Guess I'll just have to try them out myself and feel what this "feeling" is when customers try the shoes. I pray that it's not a squishy feeling.  I actually love to swim, if Gravity Defyers made flippers, I might be able to "swim up stream".  Some of the designs for women's shoes are really nice...I just don't know how I would feel knowing that there is a sperm in my shoe.  But in checking out the styles I particularly like the Jenda & the Danielle.  As for the men's athletic shoes...my hubby liked them but again, he is not so sure about the sperm on the side.  What's your favorite?

Sooo...back to the articles....I now know the truth about E-ZPass and gravity has nothing to do with it. As for merging?  I am an early merger... is that sperm on your shoes?  U must B happy 2 C me!

No comments: